Eugenio Suarez Expected to Start a Rehab Assignment on Wednesday
Cincinnati Reds manager Terry Francona said that third baseman Eugenio Suarez (oblique) is expected to start a minor-league rehab assignment on Wednesday, according to Charlie Goldsmith of FOX 19. Suarez has taken his time in his recovery from a strained left oblique, but if he can avoid any setbacks on his rehab assignment, he could be reinstated and rejoin the Reds starting lineup as early as this weekend. Once the 34-year-old right-handed slugger returns to the big-league roster, both Ke'Bryan Hayes and Nathaniel Lowe could lose out on playing time at third base and designated hitter, respectively. Suarez, a two-time All-Star and 13-year veteran, was hitting .231/.300/.363 with a .663 OPS, three home runs, 11 RBI, and 10 runs scored in 25 games played at the time of his injury. He isn't going to provide much in the way of batting average or on-base percentage, but Suarez still has value because of his power in mixed fantasy leagues, and he's currently rostered in 87% of Yahoo leagues.
Source: FOX 19 - Charlie Goldsmith
Source: FOX 19 - Charlie Goldsmith
Ronald Acuna Jr. is "Day-to-Day," Could Return on Friday
Atlanta Braves manager Walt Weiss said on Monday that outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. (hamstring) is "day-to-day" at this point, according to Chad Bishop of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Weiss added that it's not out of the question that Acuna comes off the 10-day injured list to play early this week against the Miami Marlins, but the LoanDepot Park turf is a factor in the team possibly waiting to bring Acuna back on Friday at Truist Park in Atlanta against the Washington Nationals. As of right now, the five-time All-Star isn't scheduled to go on a minor-league rehab assignment, but he also might not return until the start of the weekend. The 28-year-old superstar has been out since suffering a Grade 1 left-hamstring strain and landing on the IL on May 3. In his absence, Mike Yastrzemski has been playing right field regularly against right-handed pitching. The Braves could choose to ease Acuna back in at DH when he's activated, but either way, he should be returned to all starting fantasy lineups immediately. The former MVP was hitting a mediocre .252 (32-for-127) with two homers, nine RBI, seven steals, and 17 runs scored across 34 games at the time of his injury.
Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution - Chad Bishop
Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution - Chad Bishop
Byron Buxton Remains Sidelined With Hip Injury on Monday
Minnesota Twins outfielder Byron Buxton (hip) remains sidelined for Monday's series opener against the visiting Houston Astros, according to MLB.com. James Outman will make the start in center field for the Twins and will bat ninth against Astros right-hander Tatsuya Imai. Buxton is missing a fifth straight game due to soreness in his right hip flexor, but he worked out over the weekend and is feeling much better. The veteran outfielder doesn't expect to need a stint on the injured list, but he's probably going to have to return to the starting nine during the series against the Astros to avoid that. For what it's worth, manager Derek Shelton said that Buxton is "very close" to returning to the lineup. In the 32-year-old's last game last week against the Miami Marlins, he hit two home runs. Buxton has been providing plenty of pop for his fantasy managers with 15 homers, 23 RBI, and 33 runs scored in his 169 at-bats this year, and hopefully, his current hip injury won't put an end to his hot streak at the plate. Outman and the Twins have never faced Imai.
Source: MLB.com
Source: MLB.com
Jeremy Pena Reinstated and Starting on Monday Against Twins
Houston Astros shortstop Jeremy Pena (hamstring, neck) has been reinstated from the 10-day injured list on Monday before the series opener against the hosting Minnesota Twins. Pena is at shortstop and will bat leadoff against Twins left-hander Kendry Rojas at Target Field. Pena initially landed on the injured list on April 11 with a Grade 1 right-hamstring strain before being bothered by a sore neck due to a collision with a runner while on his minor-league rehab assignment last week. Now that the 28-year-old Dominican infielder is back, he will return to primary starting duties at the 6 in Houston. Pena was hitting .256/.304/.349 with a .653 OPS, no home runs, no RBI, five runs scored, and a stolen base in his first 43 at-bats with the Astros in 2026 before going on the shelf. Injuries have plagued him so far this year, but he was a first-time All-Star in 2025 and finished just three home runs shy of his first 20-20 campaign. Pena is available in 20% of Yahoo leagues.
Source: MLB.com
Source: MLB.com
Kyle Schwarber Out With Illness on Monday
Philadelphia Phillies outfielder/designated hitter Kyle Schwarber (illness) is feeling under the weather and will not start in Monday's series opener against the Cincinnati Reds, interim manager Don Mattingly told Scott Lauber of The Philadelphia Inquirer. Bryce Harper will take over as the DH on Monday and bat second, while Alec Bohm will move across the diamond to play first base while batting third against Reds left-hander Nick Lodolo. Edmundo Sosa is at the hot corner and is batting cleanup for the Phils. This will be Schwarber's first time on the bench in 2026 after he started each of the team's first 47 games. Fantasy managers should expect the left-handed slugger to be back in there for Game 2 of the series at Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday. The 33-year-old veteran slugger remains one of the best sources of power and on-base percentage in his fifth season in Philly. Schwarber enters Monday's action slashing .230/.357/.624 with a .980 OPS, a league-leading 20 home runs, 36 RBI, 33 runs scored, and a stolen base in 213 plate appearances. Sosa will be a viable DFS sleeper in the cleanup spot, and he's also hit .444 with a 1.252 OPS, a homer, and three RBI in 18 career at-bats against Lodolo.
Source: The Philadelphia Inquirer - Scott Lauber
Source: The Philadelphia Inquirer - Scott Lauber
Gerrit Cole on the Verge of Making his 2026 Debut?
The New York Yankees are discussing having right-hander Gerrit Cole (elbow) return to their starting rotation instead of making his final minor-league rehab start, but that hasn't been officially set yet, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. "We're talking through everything," according to manager Aaron Boone. Cole has been looking good on the farm as he rehabs back from Tommy John surgery that kept him out for all of last year, and the 35-year-old former American League Cy Young winner allowed just one run with six strikeouts in 5 1/3 innings with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Sunday. If the Yankees decide that Cole is ready for his 2026 debut in the big leagues, he will most likely make his first start for the team this Friday in a tough matchup against the first-place Tampa Bay Rays. Cole is a potential fantasy ace when he's right, but we wouldn't recommend starting him right away this weekend if he takes the hill versus Tampa. He's still available in 15% of Yahoo leagues, so fantasy managers should run to the waiver wire and add him immediately if he's floating around on your league's wire.
Source: MLB.com - Bryan Hoch
Source: MLB.com - Bryan Hoch
Zach Thornton Worth an Add After Strong Showing at Triple-A?
The New York Mets will call up left-handed pitching prospect Zach Thornton from Triple-A Syracuse to pitch on Wednesday against the division-rival Washington Nationals, according to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com. Thornton, who is ranked by MLB Pipeline as the Mets' No. 13 prospect, only made two starts at Syracuse, but he allowed just three earned runs on eight hits (one homer) while walking three and striking out 13 in 12 innings of work. Before that, the 24-year-old southpaw had a 3.60 ERA and 1.32 WHIP with 27 strikeouts and nine walks in 25 innings over his five starts with Double-A Binghamton. The 6-foot-3, 170-pounder is known as a strike-thrower. He doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he attacks hitters and is highly competitive. It could just be a spot start for Thornton as the Mets look to replace right-hander Clay Holmes (leg) in the starting rotation long-term. Kodai Senga (back) is also still on the injured list. Next up for the Mets could be prospects Jack Wenninger (No. 5) or Jonah Tong (No. 2) if Thornton doesn't stick around.
Source: MLB.com - Anthony DiComo
Source: MLB.com - Anthony DiComo
Kodai Senga Throws Live Batting Practice, Not Close to Returning
New York Mets right-hander Kodai Senga (back) flew to Florida to throw a multi-inning live batting practice session on Sunday, May 17, per MLB.com. However, Senga will not advance to game action until his pitch metrics are in the place that he wants. He's currently on the 15-day injured list with lumbar-spine inflammation and doesn't appear close to a return. The 33-year-old veteran will still need to go on a minor-league rehab assignment and make a few starts on the farm, so we probably won't see him back in the big leagues until the calendar flips to June. The Mets want to get Senga right before they consider bringing him back to the majors after he went 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA and 1.95 WHIP with 23 strikeouts in 20 innings in his first five starts for the team in 2026. The Japanese native was an All-Star in his first year in the States back in 2023, but it's been all downhill since then, and he was even optioned to the minors late last year. Senga is now only rostered in 13% of Yahoo leagues and should stay on the waiver wire in mixed leagues.
Source: MLB.com
Source: MLB.com
Jorge Polanco's Return Will Come Down to Pain Tolerance
New York Mets infielder Jorge Polanco (Achilles, wrist) will travel with the team to Washington this week to continue doing baseball activities, according to Tim Britton of The Athletic. Manager Carlos Mendoza said on Sunday that Polanco's return from the 10-day injured list will come down to pain tolerance. "He's going to be feeling it," Mendoza said. "Hopefully it goes away, but it's something he's probably going to have to manage." The 32-year-old veteran left-handed-hitting infielder has been out since April 14, and there remains no timetable for his return to the Mets' starting lineup. When Polanco does rejoin the major-league roster, he will most likely be eased back in as the primary designated hitter. The Dominican switch-hitter probably won't be ready to come off the IL until June since he must still go on what will likely be a lengthy minor-league rehab assignment. Polanco hasn't gotten off to a good start in his first season with the Mets, as he went 10-for-56 (.179) with one homer, two RBI, five walks, and 11 strikeouts in his 14 games before getting injured. He is now rostered in only 25% of Yahoo leagues due to his lingering injury issues.
Source: The Athletic - Tim Britton
Source: The Athletic - Tim Britton
Yankees Send Elmer Rodriguez Back to Triple-A
The New York Yankees announced on Monday that they optioned right-handed pitching prospect Elmer Rodriguez back to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and signed right-hander Yovanny Cruz to a major-league contract and selected him to the active roster in a corresponding move. Rodriguez, 22, will head back to the farm after a successful spot start in Sunday's series finale against the crosstown-rival New York Mets. In just his third major-league start for the Yanks this year, he allowed only one earned run on five hits while walking one and striking out one in 4 1/3 innings of work to take a no-decision. Per MLB Pipeline, Rodriguez is the team's No. 2 prospect, behind only infield prospect George Lombard Jr. With right-hander Gerrit Cole (elbow) nearing his 2026 season debut later this month, we might not see Rodriguez back in the big-league starting rotation for a while now. The 6-foot-4, 177-pounder is still one of the better young pitchers to stash in deeper fantasy baseball leagues. He's currently rostered in only 5% of Yahoo leagues.
Source: New York Yankees
Source: New York Yankees
Jackson Holliday Back With Orioles, a Prime Waiver-Wire Pickup?
The Baltimore Sun's Matt Weyrich reports that Baltimore Orioles second baseman Jackson Holliday (hand) is with the team ahead of their series opener on Monday against the division-rival Tampa Bay Rays. Holliday has not played at all in the big leagues in 2026 after having surgery for a fractured hamate bone in his hand back in spring training, and he had two setbacks on the farm while on a minor-league rehab assignment. In 22 rehab games with High-A Frederick, Double-A Chesapeake, and Triple-A Norfolk, the former first overall pick has hit just .176 (13-for-74) with a homer, five RBI, six runs, a stolen base, 10 walks, and 23 strikeouts in 86 plate appearances. Despite the poor showing at the plate during his rehab assignment, it looks like Holliday, the son of former big-league outfielder Matt Holliday, might be activated from the 10-day injured list on Monday before the series opener against the Rays. Holliday took a step forward in his first full MLB season in 2025 and has clear 20-20 potential as a power/speed threat as Baltimore's regular second baseman. Fantasy managers in need of middle-infield help should look Holliday's way, as he's rostered in only 41% of Yahoo leagues currently.
Source: The Baltimore Sun - Matt Weyrich
Source: The Baltimore Sun - Matt Weyrich
Tarik Skubal to Throw Off a Mound on Monday
Detroit Tigers left-hander Tarik Skubal (elbow) is back with the team in Detroit and will throw off a mound on Monday, his second mound session since having arthroscopic surgery to remove a loose body in his left elbow on May 6, according to Jason Beck of MLB.com. Skubal's elbow procedure was non-invasive, which will give him a chance to return in June, barring a setback once he begins ramping up his throwing program. The 29-year-old southpaw might not have been as dominant as fantasy managers were expecting in his first seven starts of the 2026 season before landing on the 15-day injured list, but he was still pretty good, going 3-2 with a 2.70 ERA and 0.95 WHIP with 45 strikeouts and just six walks in 43 1/3 innings pitched across seven starts for Detroit. Skubal is the league's most dominant starting pitcher when fully healthy after winning the American League Cy Young award in each of the last two seasons.
Source: MLB.com - Jason Beck
Source: MLB.com - Jason Beck
Corbin Burnes a Prime Deep-League Injury Stash Candidate
Arizona Diamondbacks starting pitcher Corbin Burnes (elbow) has been on the injured list since June 2025 as he makes his way back from Tommy John surgery. Burnes progressed to throwing bullpens in late April, but has yet to go out on a rehab assignment. According to the most recent reports, Arizona's plan for the 31-year-old is for him to return in mid-July after the All-Star break. Burnes was pitching well before getting injured last season, as he recorded a 3-2 record with a 2.66 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, and 63 strikeouts across 64 1/3 innings (11 starts). The veteran right-hander was also one of the best pitchers in baseball from 2021 through 2024, posting four consecutive campaigns with at least 180 strikeouts and a WHIP of 1.10 or lower. While he may not immediately produce like his peak self post-surgery, Burnes still offers significant upside for fantasy managers. Particularly in deeper leagues, managers may want to consider stashing Burnes early before more news on his progression causes his waiver wire price to rise.
Source: RotoBaller
Source: RotoBaller
Does Carlos Estevez Still Have Stash Appeal Off the Waiver Wire?
Kansas City Royals right-hander Carlos Estevez (shoulder) has had a miserable start to his 2026 season. The 33-year-old gave up six earned runs in his first outing of the year in late March before hitting the injured list with a foot injury. Then, while working his way back, Estevez was diagnosed with a rotator cuff strain in early May and is currently in the midst of a three-week shutdown from throwing. At this point, a return in mid-to-late June appears to be the best-case scenario for Estevez. Still, Estevez is coming off a 42-save season in 2025 and could be worth monitoring on the waiver wire in deeper leagues. While Royals right-hander Lucas Erceg has pitched to a 3.26 ERA with 11 saves in Estevez's absence, Erceg has also blown three saves and owns a highly unimpressive 5% K-BB rate. Estevez is not a lock to immediately reclaim the ninth-inning role in Kansas City when he returns, but he may still have some appeal as a stash candidate off the waiver wire.
Source: RotoBaller
Source: RotoBaller
Royals Place Kris Bubic on Injured List With Elbow Soreness
The Kansas City Royals announced on Monday that they placed left-hander Kris Bubic (elbow) on the 15-day injured list with left-elbow soreness and recalled right-hander Eli Morgan from Triple-A Omaha in a corresponding move. Bubic struggled in his last start on May 14 in a loss against the division-rival Chicago White Sox, allowing a season-high five earned runs on five hits (one homer) while walking three and striking out four in just four innings of work. It's unclear if he'll need more than a minimum stay on the IL. After his last rough outing, the 28-year-old southpaw is 3-2 on the season with a 4.11 ERA (3.71 FIP) and 1.23 WHIP with 51 strikeouts and 26 walks in 50 1/3 innings pitched across nine starts for KC. Bubic was a first-time All-Star in 2025 in his sixth season in the big leagues with the Royals, when he went 8-7 with a career-low 2.55 ERA (2.89 FIP), 1.18 WHIP, and 116:39 K:BB in 116 1/3 innings across his 20 starts. Right now, he's rostered in 71% of Yahoo leagues.
Source: Kansas City Royals
Source: Kansas City Royals
RADIO



