Teoscar Hernandez Managed Groin Injury Last Year
Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Teoscar Hernandez (groin) admitted that a groin injury was partly to blame for the worst offensive season of his big-league career in 2025, according to Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic. "I wasn't moving the way I know I can move," Hernández said. The groin injury he dealt with last year never really felt right." The 33-year-old Dominican veteran cleaned up his diet in the offseason and dropped 10 pounds as he looks to bounce back in 2026. Hernandez is eager to prove that he can get back to the production he had in his first year in L.A., when he hit .272/.339/.501 with an .840 OPS, career-high 33 home runs, 99 RBI, 84 runs, and 12 stolen bases in 154 regular-season games. His defense also slipped last year, but Hernandez was still essential in helping the Dodgers win back-to-back World Series titles. Hernandez's batted-ball metrics in 2025 were similar to his career year in 2024, suggesting he can easily bounce back in his third year in Hollywood. And in the best lineup in baseball, you could definitely have a worse No. 3 outfielder in fantasy.
Source: The Athletic - Fabian Ardaya
Source: The Athletic - Fabian Ardaya
Mitch Garver, Mariners Agree on Minor-League Deal
Free-agent catcher Mitch Garver and the Seattle Mariners agreed on a minor-league deal on Wednesday, sources told Jeff Passan of ESPN. The 35-year-old veteran backstop spent the last two seasons with the Mariners and will compete for the backup job in 2026 to American League MVP runner-up Cal Raleigh. In his two years in the Pacific Northwest, Garver hit a measly .187/.290/.341 with a .632 OPS, but he did contribute 24 home runs, 81 RBI, and 66 runs scored in 201 regular-season games over 720 plate appearances. His primary competition for the No. 2 job will be Andrew Knizner, with Jhonny Pereda also in the mix this spring. Garver's average was up a bit (.209) last year in 87 games, but his power (nine homers) was down. Because his glove is below-average, it will be an uphill battle for playing time in Seattle if he wins the backup job.
Source: ESPN.com - Jeff Passan
Source: ESPN.com - Jeff Passan
Jorge Polanco Being Slow-Played in Spring Training
New York Mets infielder Jorge Polanco is unlikely to appear in the first week of Grapefruit League games in spring training as the team looks to slow-play him, according to The Athletic's Will Sammon and Tim Britton. Polanco isn't coming off any injury concerns from last year with the Seattle Mariners, but the 32-year-old veteran has averaged 110 games played over the last four years. Polanco's 138 games played for Seattle last year were his highest total since 2021. In addition to trying to keep him healthy going into his first year in Queens, Polanco will be given some extra time in camp to learn first base, a position he could play a lot of in 2026 after Pete Alonso left in free agency. The Dominican switch-hitter had a nice bounce-back campaign last year, hitting .265/.326/.495 with an .821 OPS, 26 home runs, 78 RBI, 64 runs, and six stolen bases. His batted-ball metrics looked solid, but durability issues will keep him as more of an infield depth option in fantasy with power in 2026.
Source: The Athletic - Will Sammon and Tim Britton
Source: The Athletic - Will Sammon and Tim Britton
Francisco Alvarez Unlikely to Play in First Week of Grapefruit League
New York Mets catcher Francisco Alvarez is unlikely to appear in the first week of the Grapefruit League as the team looks to slow-play him, according to Will Sammon and Tim Britton of The Athletic. Alvarez is expected to be ready to go for Opening Day in late March, but the Mets are going to be cautious with the 24-year-old backstop after he had thumb surgery at the end of last season. In addition to a torn UCL in his right thumb last August, Alvarez also got a late start in 2025 due to a left-hand fracture. The injuries limited the Venezuelan catcher to 76 games in his fourth year in the majors. In 277 plate appearances for the Mets, Alvarez hit .256/.339/.447 with a career-high .787 OPS, 11 home runs, 32 RBI, and 32 runs scored. Alvarez's injury history is concerning, but he'll be the team's primary catcher, and he's pretty intriguing for his power upside at the cost of a backup fantasy catcher.
Source: The Athletic - Will Sammon and Tim Britton
Source: The Athletic - Will Sammon and Tim Britton
Hunter Dobbins Hopes to be Cleared for Baseball Activities
St. Louis Cardinals right-hander Hunter Dobbins (knee) was scheduled to visit with a doctor on Wednesday and is hoping to be fully cleared for baseball activities in spring training, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Dobbins is throwing bullpen sessions and live batting practice in camp, but he hasn't been able to field his position or do any running after having surgery on his right ACL last July. The 26-year-old could be on track to make some appearances in Grapefruit League games for his new team, but whether he'll be ready for Opening Day in late March is another question. The fact that Dobbins has yet to be fully cleared for baseball activities certainly isn't a good sign. For fantasy purposes, the former eighth-rounder doesn't have much long-term appeal with limited strikeout upside. In his 13 outings (11 starts) for Boston last year in his first MLB season, Dobbins had a 4.13 ERA (3.87 FIP) and 1.28 WHIP with 45 K's and 17 walks in 61 innings.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch - Derrick Goold
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch - Derrick Goold
Garrett Mitchell Fully Healthy This Spring
Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Garrett Mitchell (shoulder) said that he received full clearance for baseball activities in early February, according to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Mitchell is a full-go in camp after having a second surgery on his left shoulder that limited him to just 25 games last season. The 27-year-old UCLA product was a first-rounder (20th overall) in 2020, but he just hasn't been able to stay on the field due to injuries. Mitchell hasn't played in more than 69 contests in a single season since debuting in the big leagues in 2022. In his four years with the Brewers, he's combined to hit .254/.333/.433 with a .766 OPS, 13 home runs, 40 RBI, 61 runs scored, and 23 stolen bases in 141 games and 443 plate appearances. Mitchell should have a role in Milwaukee's outfield if he can stay healthy, and there is still enough power and speed in his profile to make him a worthwhile deep-league stash.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Todd Rosiak
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Todd Rosiak
Mauricio Dubon to Open the Year as Braves Shortstop
Atlanta Braves infielder Mauricio Dubon will be the team's starting shortstop while Ha-Seong Kim misses at least the first five weeks of the 2026 season after having surgery on his right middle finger, according to Mark Bowman of MLB.com. Defense and positional versatility are Dubon's calling card, but he did hit 10 homers and posted a .720 OPS in 492 plate appearances for the Houston Astros in 2023. He had a .651 OPS the last two seasons in Houston, not drawing more than 428 plate appearances either year. Defensively, Dubon should be able to hold down the 6 in Kim's absence after tying for the seventh-highest Fielding Run Value (six) among MLB shortstops last year. The 31-year-old Honduras native has appeared at every spot in the big leagues except catcher and pitcher, so he offers the Braves a lot of flexibility on defense. But he barely moves the needle in fantasy.
Source: MLB.com - Mark Bowman
Source: MLB.com - Mark Bowman
Quinn Priester Being Slow-Played in Camp
Milwaukee Brewers right-hander Quinn Priester (wrist) has recovered from the wrist issue that he dealt with late last year, but he will be slow-played this spring, according to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He's had a couple of things that have kept him from progressing, but he's thrown bullpens. Nothing shutting him down or anything like that," manager Pat Murphy said. In his first year with the Brew Crew in 2025, the 25-year-old had a strong season, going 13-3 with a career-best 3.32 ERA (4.01 FIP) and 1.24 WHIP with 132 strikeouts and 50 walks in 157 1/3 innings pitched over his 29 appearances (24 starts). The former first-round selection generated a lot less hard contact, but his 20.2% strikeout rate, 3.59 xERA, and 3.81xFIP all indicate that some regression could be in store in 2026 in his second year in Milwaukee. Priester is in a good situation with the Brewers, but his ceiling for fantasy purposes might be as a mid-tier starting pitcher with limited strikeout upside. He's ranked as RotoBaller's No. 73 fantasy starting pitcher.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Todd Rosiak
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Todd Rosiak
Konnor Griffin Unlikely to Make Pirates Opening Day Roster?
Pittsburgh Pirates manager Don Kelly told Pittsburgh sportscaster Shelby Cassesse that "it would be a tough ask" for shortstop prospect Konnor Griffin to make the Opening Day roster, according to Andrew Fillipponi of 93.7 The Fan. "Keep in mind he's only had a handful of at-bats at Double-A," Kelly said. Spring training games have yet to begin, but it sounds like the Bucs are pretty set on having Kriffin, the consensus top prospect in the game, start at Triple-A Indianapolis in 2026. The ninth overall pick in 2024 made it all the way to Double-A Altoona in his first pro season in 2025, slashing a combined .333/.415/.527 with a .941 OPS, 21 home runs, 94 RBI, 117 runs scored, and 65 stolen bases in 122 games played at three different levels. Griffin will still be a stash candidate in all single-year leagues, even if he doesn't make the Opening Day roster, but keep in mind that the Pirates generally have not rushed their top prospects to the majors.
Source: 93.7 The Fan - Andrew Fillipponi
Source: 93.7 The Fan - Andrew Fillipponi
Kevin Alcantara a Good Bet to Make Opening Day Roster?
Chicago Cubs manager Craig Counsell said that outfielder Kevin Alcantara has prepared well for a job coming into spring training, according to Bruce Levine of Marquee Sports Network. Alcantara said on Wednesday that he is confident in his ability and has matured while waiting for his chances. Additionally, the 23-year-old Dominican said he made swing adjustments in the offseason to find more consistency at the plate. In the last two years, Alcantara has only appeared in 13 major-league games with the Cubbies, going 5-for-21 (.238) with no homers, one RBI, one stolen base, one walk, and five strikeouts. He slashed .266/.349/.470 with 17 home runs, 10 stolen bases, and a 29.8% strikeout rate in 102 games at Triple-A Iowa in 2025. Alcantara has plus speed and raw power, but no clear path to playing time in Chicago in 2026. He also has minor-league options remaining, so starting in Iowa again is a possibility.
Source: Marquee Sports Network - Bruce Levine
Source: Marquee Sports Network - Bruce Levine
Griffin Conine Learning First Base
Miami Marlins corner outfielder Griffin Conine is learning first base this spring, according to Christina De Nicola of MLB.com. It's the same position his father, Jeff, played for most of his 17-year MLB career. The Marlins could use some depth at the position since Graham Pauley and Liam Hicks have limited experience there. In addition to Conine, Christopher Morel and Connor Norby are working at first base to give the Fish more options. Miami's outfield is already heavy on left-handed bats with Kyle Stowers, Jakob Marsee, and prospect Owen Caissie. If the 28-year-old adapts well to the position in spring training, it's possible he could make plenty of starts there in 2026. Conine only played in 24 games in Miami last year due to a dislocated shoulder that required surgery, and he went 20-for-79 (.253) with two homers and eight RBI. He had a nice 48.1% hard-hit rate, 14.8% barrel rate, and 117.4 mph maximum exit velocity in a short sample size, so he could become interesting as a depth outfielder in deeper fantasy leagues this year if he can carve out enough playing time at first base.
Source: MLB.com - Christina De Nicola
Source: MLB.com - Christina De Nicola
Ryan McMahon to Get Reps at Shortstop This Spring
New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone said the plan is to get infielder Ryan McMahon some reps at shortstop this spring to see if that can be an option with Anthony Volpe (shoulder) expected to miss the first month of the season, according to Gary Phillips of the New York Daily News. Phillips adds that this would purely be for emergency purposes, as Jose Caballero is expected to man the 6 regularly in the Bronx to begin the year with Volpe sidelined. The 31-year-old McMahon has only played three innings at shortstop back in 2020 with the Colorado Rockies in his pro career. He still has pop -- he's hit 20-plus homers in six straight seasons -- but the nine-year veteran hit an ugly .214/.312/.381 with a .693 OPS, 53 RBI, 62 runs scored, and three steals in 154 regular-season games last year in Colorado and New York. Because of his struggles against same-handed pitching, McMahon is set for a platoon at the hot corner for the Bombers, causing him to lose most of his mixed-league appeal.
Source: New York Daily News - Gary Phillips
Source: New York Daily News - Gary Phillips
Zebby Matthews an Option for Opening Day Starting Rotation?
Minnesota Twins right-hander Zebby Matthews could be a candidate for the No. 5 starting rotation spot to begin the 2026 season now that right-hander Pablo Lopez (elbow) will likely miss the entire season, according to Matthew Leach of MLB.com. Taj Bradley and Simeon Woods Richardson were the favorites for the fourth and fifth spots in the Opening Day rotation, but a new spot has emerged in Minnesota due to Lopez's injury. In 16 starts for the Twins last year, Matthews struggled to a 5.56 ERA (3.79 FIP) and 1.49 WHIP with 88 strikeouts and 24 walks in 79 1/3 innings over his 16 starts. The former eighth-round pick in 2022 out of Western Carolina University also struggled to a 6.69 ERA and 1.65 WHIP in his first nine big-league starts in 2024. Under the hood, Matthews showed promise with plenty of velocity and above-average strikeout and walk rates. A high .357 BABIP and 3.79 FIP indicate bad luck. Given another opportunity in 2026, don't be surprised if Matthews turns things around.
Source: MLB.com - Matthew Leach
Source: MLB.com - Matthew Leach
Astros Showing Interest in Michael Conforto
The Houston Astros "have expressed interest" in free-agent outfielder Michael Conforto, with their chances of trading infielder Isaac Paredes diminishing, a source told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com. The 32-year-old veteran left-handed hitter really struggled with the Los Angeles Dodgers last year, slashing .199/.305/.333 with a career-worst .637 OPS, 12 home runs, 36 RBI, 54 runs scored, and a 121:56 K:BB in 138 regular-season games (486 plate appearances). Conforto's xBA of .237 suggests he might have been a bit unlucky, but most of his advanced metrics at the plate were average, at best. In his two previous seasons with the San Francisco Giants, he slashed .238/.322/.418 with a .740 OPS with 35 homers and 124 RBI in 255 games. Conforto could bounce back in the average department, but he'll likely be limited to a platoon role wherever he lands in free agency.
Source: MLB.com - Brian McTaggart
Source: MLB.com - Brian McTaggart
All Eyes on Matt Chapman's Plate Discipline and Power in 2026
San Francisco Giants third baseman Matt Chapman is coming off the best season of his career in terms of plate discipline, but health and power are key storylines to monitor with the veteran infielder going forward. Chapman slashed .231/.340/.430 with 21 home runs, a 13.3% walk rate, a 23.6% strikeout rate, and 118 wRC+ last year. This was a new career-high walk rate, and also the second-best strikeout rate of his career. His power dipped slightly, but only from a 4.1% HR% in 2024 to a 3.9% HR% in 2025. Meanwhile, he continued to flash the leather at third base with 4 OAA and 4 FRV. Unfortunately, Chapman missed roughly five weeks due to right hand inflammation. He's fully healthy heading into 2026, but injury risk is always a factor to consider ahead of fantasy baseball drafts. It's a big ask, but we'd love to see Chapman continue to homer around 4% of the time, continue to showcase solid plate discipline, and stay healthy for most of the 2026 season. He currently ranks #10 among third basemen in RotoBaller's latest fantasy baseball draft rankings.
Source: RotoBaller
Source: RotoBaller
RADIO



