Jason Adam to be Ready for Opening Day?
San Diego Padres right-handed reliever Jason Adam (quadriceps) "remains on track to potentially be ready" for Opening Day in late March, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee. Adam said last week that he feels it's realistic for him to be ready for the start of the 2026 season, and he said on Friday that he thinks the team's medical staff is "on board." The 34-year-old veteran is making great progress since suffering a torn left quad late last season that required surgery. He has been throwing bullpen sessions since early December. When back to full health, Adam will be the Padres' top setup man in front of superstar closer Mason Miller. Adam was a first-time All-Star in 2025 and finished seventh among relievers with 29 holds while recording a sub-2.00 ERA for the third time in the last four years. He won't really see save chances as long as Miller stays healthy, but Adam should once again be very valuable in holds leagues.
Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee
Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee
Yuki Matsui Dealing With Groin Tightness
San Diego Padres manager Craig Stammen said that left-handed reliever Yuki Matsui (groin) had his live batting practice session cut short in camp on Thursday due to left-groin tightness, according to Kevin Acee of The San Diego Union-Tribune. Although the injury doesn't sound very serious, it could keep Matsui from participating for Team Japan in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. If he's feeling better, the 30-year-old southpaw could resume playing catch on Saturday. Matsui has been solid out of the Padres' bullpen in his first two years in the big leagues in middle relief, but he doesn't really move the needle in fantasy baseball without much of a high-leverage role. In his 125 appearances (126 innings), he has a 3.86 ERA (4.40 FIP), 1.26 WHIP, one save, 130 strikeouts, and 60 walks in San Diego.
Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee
Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee
Red Sox Want Johan Oviedo to be More Explosive
The Boston Red Sox want right-hander Johan Oviedo's delivery "to be more explosive," according to Christopher Smith of MassLive.com. The team wants him to "create more force down the mound." "The extension," manager Alex Cora said. "And that's kind of key for him. We saw him last year, he did a good job against us, and that's his uniqueness. If the velo goes up, great. But I think just maximize who you are and his extension is elite." If the 6-foot-6, 275-pounder can make the necessary fixes to his delivery that the team is looking for, he could be the favorite for one of the final spots in the starting rotation to begin the 2026 season, with Kutter Crawford (knee, wrist) potentially opening the year on the injured list. Oviedo looked good last year in his return from Tommy John surgery, although he made only nine starts (40 1/3 frames). Durability and walks are the biggest concerns with Oviedo, but if he can generate more force with his delivery, he could see an uptick in velocity and K's in Boston.
Source: MassLive.com - Christopher Smith
Source: MassLive.com - Christopher Smith
Sawyer Gipson-Long to Throw a Bullpen on Friday
Detroit Tigers right-hander Sawyer Gipson-Long (oblique) is scheduled to throw a bullpen session in camp on Friday, according to Evan Petzold of MLive.com. Gipson-Long is battling through a left-oblique injury in spring training, but barring a setback, he should be ready for Opening Day in late March. The 28-year-old missed all of the 2024 season after having Tommy John surgery, and he returned last year to record a rough 7.18 ERA and 1.28 WHIP with 26 strikeouts and only six walks in 31 1/3 innings pitched over eight appearances (three starts) at the big-league level. He also dealt with some neck problems last year, so injuries have been an issue. For now, Gipson-Long is off the fantasy baseball radar in single-year leagues, and he'll likely begin the 2026 season at Triple-A Toledo. However, when healthy, he throws strikes and can generate whiffs with his offspeed pitches.
Source: MLive.com - Evan Woodbery
Source: MLive.com - Evan Woodbery
Drew Rasmussen to See Career-High in Innings?
Tampa Bay Rays right-hander Drew Rasmussen, who has been named the team's Opening Day starter in 2026, is a pretty good bet to see a career-high in innings pitched this year, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Rasmussen exceeded expectations in his first full year back from Tommy John surgery in 2025, going 10-5 with a 2.76 ERA (3.84 FIP), 1.02 WHIP, and 127:37 K:BB in 150 innings over 31 starts to become a first-time All-Star. For obvious reasons, the Rays closely monitored the 30-year-old's workload, and he still set a new career high in innings. Rasmussen has already had three serious elbow surgeries, dating back to his college days, but barring an injury this year, he should easily surpass the 150-inning mark he set in 2025. With more volume comes higher fantasy upside for Rasmussen, who is ranked as RotoBaller's No. 44 fantasy starting pitcher in 2026.
Source: The Tampa Bay Times - Marc Topkin
Source: The Tampa Bay Times - Marc Topkin
Bryce Miller Looking to "Go Even Further" in 2026
The Seattle Times' Ryan Divish reports that Seattle Mariners right-hander Bryce Miller (elbow) has no pain in his right elbow and has two improved breaking pitches this spring. Miller is "excited to pitch a full season" and to help the Mariners "go even further" in 2026. The 27-year-old did not need surgery to have bone spurs in his elbow removed despite going on the injured list two separate times last year due to elbow problems. It's great news, but Miller goes into the 2026 campaign with a little more risk. Miller struggled in his third year in the big leagues, most likely due to his elbow issues, going 4-6 with a career-worst 5.68 ERA (5.17 FIP) and 1.41 WHIP with 74 strikeouts and 34 walks in 90 1/3 innings over 18 starts. It was promising that he had a 2.51 ERA in the playoffs in a small sample size, as well as the fact that he's feeling 100% in camp. Miller will slowly start to rise up draft boards as a bounce-back candidate if he can avoid further elbow injuries.
Source: The Seattle Times - Ryan Divish
Source: The Seattle Times - Ryan Divish
Brandon Nimmo Ramping Up Slowly With New Team
Texas Rangers manager Skip Schumaker said that outfielder Brandon Nimmo will be ramped up slowly in spring training, like he always does, according to MLB.com's Kennedi Landry. Nimmo is unlikely to play in any Cactus League games until March. The Rangers acquired Nimmo in a trade from the New York Mets in the offseason, and he's expected to replace Josh Smith as the team's primary leadoff hitter in 2025. The 32-year-old lefty hitter batted in the heart of the Mets' order last year, so he will lose out on valuable RBI opportunities, but he should be an excellent source of runs with the move to the top of the order in Texas. Nimmo is also a great asset in fantasy leagues that count on-base percentage, considering his career .350 OBP. He had career highs in homers (25) and RBI (92) last year at the expense of some OBP. Despite battling nagging injuries over the years, Nimmo has played in 150-plus games for four straight years. He's a good bet to steal double-digit bases for the third year in a row if he's past his plantar-fasciitis issues. Nimmo is ranked as the No. 36 fantasy outfielder at RotoBaller.
Source: MLB.com - Kennedi Landry
Source: MLB.com - Kennedi Landry
Rangers Easing Wyatt Langford into Cactus League Games
Texas Rangers manager Skip Schumaker said that outfielder Wyatt Langford won't play in a Cactus League game until a few days in, according to Kennedi Landry of MLB.com. Langford is fine physically, but the Rangers are slowly ramping him up this spring. The 24-year-old power-hitting outfielder dealt with an oblique injury in spring training last year and ended up going on the injured list three separate times for the injury during the 2025 regular season. He is Texas' everyday left fielder and should be considered a top-20 fantasy outfielder for his blend of power and speed. The former fourth overall pick out of the University of Florida in 2023 hit .241/.344/.431 with a .775 OPS, 22 home runs, 62 RBI, 73 runs scored, and 22 stolen bases in 573 plate appearances over 134 games in his second MLB season last year. If Langford can stay healthy over a full season, he has easy top-10 potential as an outfielder.
Source: MLB.com - Kennedi Landry
Source: MLB.com - Kennedi Landry
Pablo Lopez to Have Season-Ending Tommy John Surgery
Minnesota Twins right-hander Pablo Lopez (elbow) will have season-ending Tommy John surgery next Wednesday, according to Aaron Gleeman of The Athletic. This was the expectation after it was announced earlier this week that Lopez suffered a tear in his right UCL. Fantasy managers can now officially cross the 29-year-old off their 2026 draft boards, and he might not be ready for the start of next season either, depending on how his rehab goes. It's a massive blow to a rebuilding Twins team, as they will be without their ace all year. His injury could open up a rotation spot for right-hander Zebby Matthews, who has struggled so far in two major-league seasons. Joe Ryan, Bailey Ober, Simeon Woods Richardson, and Taj Bradley are the other starters that should be locked into Minnesota's Opening Day rotation.
Source: The Athletic - Aaron Gleeman
Source: The Athletic - Aaron Gleeman
Jose Berrios has "Looked Sharp" This Spring
Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Jose Berrios, who has been the team's Opening Day starter in three of the last four seasons, is "once again looking like the pitcher who built the reputation as one of the most reliable workhorses in the sport," according to MLB.com's Keegan Matheson. Despite Berrios' dip in velocity at the end of last year and a trip to the injured list, he's locked into Toronto's rotation. "José is fully healthy. He's looked sharp," manager John Schneider said. "His stuff is back to where it was probably two years ago in terms of velocity and his breaking ball. He changed his breaking ball a bit to make it a little bigger, so I love that guys are trying to evolve a bit, too." The 31-year-old Puerto Rican is looking to bounce back after throwing only 166 innings in 2025 -- his fewest since 2017 with the Twins. Berrios might not have the velocity to blow hitters away anymore, and the mileage on his arm is a concern, but if he can limit walks and keep the ball in the yard more, a bounce-back could be coming.
Source: MLB.com - Keegan Matheson
Source: MLB.com - Keegan Matheson
Blaze Alexander Likely to be Starting Second Baseman on Opening Day?
MASN Sports' Brendan Mortensen writes that Baltimore Orioles infielder Blaze Alexander is likely to be the team's starter at second base on Opening Day, with Jackson Holliday (hand) starting the year on the injured list after having surgery to remove the hamate bone from his hand. Mortensen mentions Jeremiah Jackson and Weston Wilson as other options at the keystone until Holliday returns. Once Holliday comes off the injured list, Alexander will be an option for at-bats at third base, with Jordan Westburg (elbow) out through April due to a partially torn UCL in his right elbow. The O's acquired the 26-year-old from the Diamondbacks in a trade this offseason after he hit .230/.323/.383 with seven home runs and four steals in 74 games last season. Alexander will mostly be in a utility role in his new digs, but with more playing time coming early in the year, his fantasy stock in AL-only leagues is on the rise.
Source: MASN Sports - Brendan Mortensen
Source: MASN Sports - Brendan Mortensen
Trey Sweeney Dealing With Shoulder Strain
The Detroit Tigers have paused shortstop Trey Sweeney's (shoulder) throwing activities in camp due to a right-shoulder strain, according to Cody Stavenhagen of The Athletic. Sweeney's injury doesn't mean he won't be ready in time for Opening Day in late March, but it definitely hurts his chances of winning a big-league roster spot out of camp. The 25-year-old has struggled to hit at the big-league level since debuting with the Tigers in 2024, slashing .202/.261/.313 with a .573 OPS, 10 home runs, 49 RBI, and a 124:33 K:BB in 445 plate appearances. He's probably fourth in the pecking order at shortstop this spring, behind prospect Kevin McGonigle, Javier Baez, and Zach McKinstry. Sweeney doesn't have enough power at the plate to be a realistic fantasy option, and he looked overmatched offensively in 2025.
Source: The Athletic - Cody Stavenhagen
Source: The Athletic - Cody Stavenhagen
Jared Jones Scheduled to Throw Live Batting Practice on Friday
Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Jared Jones (elbow) is scheduled to throw live batting practice on Friday in camp and will face designated hitter Marcell Ozuna and outfielder Oneil Cruz, according to Colin Beazley of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It's a significant development since it will be the first time that Jones will face hitters since having surgery on his right elbow last May. The 24-year-old won't be an option for the Pirates' starting rotation or for fantasy managers until at least late May, but he continues to make progress in his rehab. Among all of Pittsburgh's promising young arms, it might be easy for Jones to get lost in the shuffle after his elbow injury. In his MLB debut in 2024, Jones was impressive, going 6-8 with a 4.14 ERA (4.00 FIP) and 1.19 WHIP with 132 strikeouts and 39 walks in 121 2/3 innings over 22 starts. Because Jones won't have a full season in 2026 and he'll likely be on a strict workload, he'll only be a late-round flier to stash in fantasy drafts, at best.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Colin Beazley
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Colin Beazley
JJ Wetherholt an Option to Bat Leadoff for Cardinals?
As part of a wide-ranging discussion about lineup construction with St. Louis Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol on Friday, the Belleville News' Jeff Jones reports that shortstop prospect JJ Wetherholt's name was "bandied about as an option at leadoff." It's looking more likely that Wetherholt will not only be on the team's Opening Day roster, but he could potentially be at the top of the batting order. After the offseason trades of Nolan Arenado and Brendan Donovan, the 23-year-old has a clear path to the second base job, with Nolan Gorman moving to third base. MLB Pipeline's No. 5 overall prospect slashed a strong .306/.421/.510 with 17 home runs and 23 stolen bases in 109 games at Double-A Springfield and Triple-A Memphis last year. Wetherholt has never been a big power bat, but he can easily hit 15 homers in his first year in the big leagues.
Source: Belleville News - Jeff Jones
Source: Belleville News - Jeff Jones
Riley O'Brien to be Shut Down for a Few Days, Expected to Miss WBC
St. Louis Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol said that right-handed reliever Riley O'Brien (calf) will be shut down for the next few days, and it will take a couple of weeks for him to ramp up, according to Brian Murphy of MLB.com. O'Brien is expected to miss the upcoming World Baseball Classic for Team South Korea, but he can always be added back to the roster, depending on his recovery from what is being called a mild right-calf strain. The 31-year-old veteran still has plenty of time to get himself right before Opening Day in late March, but if he has any further setbacks, his availability could be in question. O'Brien is in the mix for saves in St. Louis in 2026 after he posted a sharp 2.06 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, his first six career saves, 45 K's, and 22 walks in a career-high 48 innings last year. He'll primarily be competing for save opps at the back end of the Cards' bullpen with JoJo Romero and Matt Svanson.
Source: MLB.com - Brian Murphy
Source: MLB.com - Brian Murphy
RADIO



