Mike Trout Plans to Return to Center Field in 2026
Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout made the transition to right field and also spent a lot of time as the designated hitter last year, but he's planning to return to his original position of center field in 2026, according to ESPN's Alden Gonzalez. "I just feel comfortable out there," Trout said. "I feel like I'm at my best when I'm in center." The Angels moved Trout to right field last year because he played in only 41% of the team's games due to injuries during a four-year stretch. The 34-year-old veteran became the team's primary DH after suffering a bone bruise in his surgically repaired left knee in late April. The three-time MVP lost around five pounds in the offseason in an effort to put less stress on his legs as he makes the transition back to center. Trout was one of the best players in the game from 2012 to 2020, posting a 1.008 OPS, 297 home runs, and 197 steals, but he's battled injuries the last five years and hit .232/.359/.439 with 26 homers and 64 RBI in 2025. He went 36 straight games without a homer at one point. Trout still has the skills to be impactful in fantasy, but the risk might not justify the reward for some.
Source: ESPN.com - Alden Gonzalez
Source: ESPN.com - Alden Gonzalez
A.J. Preller Agrees to Multi-Year Extension With Padres
The San Diego Padres extended the contract of long-time head of baseball operations A.J. Preller on Monday, according to ESPN's Alden Gonzalez. The length of Preller's new deal is undisclosed, but it puts to rest any questions about whether he would be extended with the team's control up in the air. Chairman John Seidler said he has received "tremendous interest" in the team from potential buyers and stressed that the franchise would not move from San Diego. The 48-year-old Preller, who is heading into his 12th full season as the Padres' general manager, is considered one of baseball's most aggressive front-office executives. In his time in SD, Preller has acquired star players such as Manny Machado, Fernando Tatis Jr., Jackson Merrill, Juan Soto, Josh Hader, Yu Darvish, and Joe Musgrove. He has helped the team reach the playoffs in four of the last six years. Recently, with the Padres' payroll flexibility drying up since owner Peter Seidler's death two years ago, Preller has been forced to get more creative in roster construction.
Source: ESPN.com - Alden Gonzalez
Source: ESPN.com - Alden Gonzalez
"Everything's Been Money" for Ricky Tiedemann
Toronto Blue Jays left-handed pitching prospect Ricky Tiedemann (elbow) has faced a long and challenging road in his recovery from Tommy John surgery, but he's back on the mound this spring and is "refreshed," according to Keegan Matheson of MLB.com. The Blue Jays are open to the 23-year-old southpaw building back up as a starter, but the door is also cracked open for him as a reliever in 2026. Before his TJ surgery in 2024, Tiedemann was dealing with bone chips in his elbow. It kept him from fully extending his elbow. He now has full motion in his elbow and new grips on his changeup and slider, putting him in a "more sustainable spot." "I feel amazing. Everything feels great," Tiedemann said. There is still plenty to like about Tiedemann long term, but fantasy managers in dynasty formats should expect heavy restrictions on his workload in 2026 since he's thrown only 140 innings since being drafted in 2021. It also wouldn't be a surprise if he starts the year at Triple-A Buffalo for more development.
Source: MLB.com - Keegan Matheson
Source: MLB.com - Keegan Matheson
Zack Wheeler Throws Out to 120 Feet on Monday
Philadelphia Phillies right-hander Zack Wheeler (shoulder) threw out to 120 feet in camp on Monday for the first time since having surgery to address venous thoracic outlet syndrome, manager Rob Thomson told The Athletic's Matt Gelb. Wheeler continues to progress as planned, but it's unclear when the 35-year-old veteran will be ready to return to the mound, and the Phillies aren't expecting him to be ready by Opening Day in late March. In addition to having surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Sept. 23, Wheeler had a procedure in the middle of August to have a blood clot removed from near his shoulder. The good news is that Wheeler looked like his typical top-of-the-rotation self before being shut down last summer, going 10-5 with a 2.71 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, and 195 punchouts in 149 2/3 innings over his 24 starts. Wheeler has been one of the most reliable high-end starting pitchers in fantasy over the last few seasons, but he'll be a huge question mark in 2026.
Source: The Athletic - Matt Gelb
Source: The Athletic - Matt Gelb
Colt Emerson to be Given a Chance to Make the Opening Day Roster
MLB.com's Daniel Kramer writes that Seattle Mariners infield prospect Colt Emerson, the No. 9 overall prospect at MLB Pipeline, will be given a legitimate chance to make this year's Opening Day roster, and it "seems a certainty that his housing carousel in 2026 will include residence in Seattle." Emerson is working out at all three infield positions in camp (shortstop, second base, and third base) as he did on his own in the offseason. He's a natural shortstop and has the plus defense needed to stick at the premium position long term as arguably the best defensive infielder in the M's system. However, Emerson won't be at the 6 this year unless J.P. Crawford misses time due to injury. MLB Pipeline lists the 20-year-old as the "owner of the best hit tool in the Mariners system" as well, and his glove could elevate him into what general manager Jerry Dipoto calls "a sneaky five-tool guy." We won't have a clearer picture of Seattle's plan for Emerson to begin the year until later in spring training, but he's already a player that should be stashed in all dynasty/keeper formats, and he figures to make an impact at the big-league level at some point this year.
Source: MLB.com - Daniel Kramer
Source: MLB.com - Daniel Kramer
Pablo Lopez Going for MRI After Experiencing Elbow Soreness
Minnesota Twins right-hander Pablo Lopez (elbow) will undergo an MRI exam after leaving a live batting practice session early in camp due to elbow soreness, according to manager Derek Shelton. The Twins are just hoping it's a precautionary measure. It's not great news for the 29-year-old, who missed two months last year with a Grade 2 teres major strain. Lopez's 2025 season also ended early due to a strained right forearm in September. There's no official word on Lopez's status right now, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he's forced to miss the start of the 2026 regular season. The Venezuelan was an ace when healthy last year, going 5-4 with a 2.74 ERA and 1.11 WHIP with 73 strikeouts and 20 walks in 75 2/3 innings over his 14 starts, but durability is a major concern. In addition to his arm injuries last year, Lopez also missed three weeks in April with a hamstring strain. Lopez will be a risk/reward fantasy selection in upcoming fantasy drafts until we know more. Stay tuned.
Source: The Athletic - Dan Hayes
Source: The Athletic - Dan Hayes
Tommy Edman to Start the Year on the Injured List
Los Angeles Dodgers utility man Tommy Edman (ankle) will start the season on the injured list, manager Dave Roberts told Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic. It's unclear when Edman might return to make his 2026 debut, but Roberts said on Monday that the team will take a "methodical" pace with the 30-year-old veteran after he had surgery in the offseason to address a nagging right-ankle injury that has bothered him for the last two years. Edman was slightly better during the regular season in 2025, but so far in his two seasons in Hollywood, he's hit an underwhelming .229/.280/.392 with a .672 OPS, 19 home runs, 69 RBI, 69 runs scored, and nine stolen bases in 134 regular-season games. He has won two World Series rings since joining L.A., but for fantasy purposes, he hasn't been very productive. Edman's IL stint to open the 2026 campaign makes him even less attractive in deeper mixed leagues.
Source: The Athletic - Fabian Ardaya
Source: The Athletic - Fabian Ardaya
Bryce Miller Says his "Elbow Feels 100 Percent"
Seattle Mariners right-hander Bryce Miller (elbow) said he didn't experience any discomfort in the offseason, and his pitching "elbow feels 100%," according to Daniel Kramer of MLB.com. After extended consultation with Dr. Keith Meister, it was decided that Miller would not need a procedure to remove the loose bone spurs in his right elbow. The 27-year-old was limited to a career-low 18 starts in 2025 due to two separate stints on the injured list with elbow injuries, and he finished the regular season with a 4-6 record, career-worst 5.68 ERA (5.17 FIP), and 1.41 WHIP with 74 strikeouts and 34 walks in 90 1/3 innings pitched. Miller's elbow issues will make fantasy managers think twice about rostering him in 2026, but if he can stay healthy, a bounce-back should be in store. He broke out in 2024 with a 2.94 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, and 171 K's in 31 starts, and he looked good in the postseason with a 2.51 ERA over 14 1/3 innings. RotoBaller has Miller ranked as the No. 67 fantasy starting pitcher.
Source: MLB.com - Daniel Kramer
Source: MLB.com - Daniel Kramer
Padres, Ty France Agree on Minor-League Deal
The San Diego Padres are signing free-agent first baseman Ty France to a minor-league deal with a non-roster invitation to major-league spring training, sources told Dennis Lin of The Athletic. France, 31, will return to the organization that drafted him in the 34th round out of San Diego State University back in 2015. The veteran right-handed-hitting first baseman slashed .257/.320/.360 with a .681 OPS, seven home runs, 52 RBI, and 50 runs scored in 138 games with the Minnesota Twins and Toronto Blue Jays last year, his second straight season with an OPS below .700. He is an above-average defensive first baseman, but he's going to need to improve with the bat to find playing time in San Diego at first base. As things currently stand, Gavin Sheets and Nick Castellanos figure to platoon at first base. France could find at-bats as the designated hitter, but consistent playing time won't be guaranteed in his return to SD.
Source: The Athletic - Dennis Lin
Source: The Athletic - Dennis Lin
Jose Altuve to Spend Most of his Time at Second in Camp
Houston Astros second baseman Jose Altuve will spend most of his spring working exclusively at second base, manager Joe Espada told Chandler Rome of The Athletic. Altuve started last season in left field and played 45 games there, but he also appeared at the keystone in 63 games in 2025 and will return to the position he's played most of his career in 2026. With the 35-year-old veteran moving back to the infield full-time, it has opened up playing time in left field for Zach Cole in Houston. Meanwhile, with Carlos Correa locked in at third, Isaac Paredes is a trade candidate before Opening Day. Altuve is still a top-10 fantasy second baseman, but Father Time is starting to catch up with him, both offensively and defensively. He hit .265 last year with a .771 OPS, which was his worst since the shortened 2020 campaign. Altuve still hit 26 homers, but he had a sizeable drop in steals (10). Fantasy managers shouldn't consider him a lock for a 20-20 season.
Source: The Athletic - Chandler Rome
Source: The Athletic - Chandler Rome
Marcelo Mayer at Second, Caleb Durbin Manning Third in Camp
For the second day in a row at camp, Boston Red Sox infielder Marcelo Mayer is at second base, and Caleb Durbin is at third base, according to Jen McCaffrey of The Athletic. It seemed like a foregone conclusion that Mayer would see most of his playing time at third in 2026 after Alex Bregman left via free agency. However, the recent trade acquisition of Durbin from the Milwaukee Brewers has changed the dynamic of Boston's infield at the start of spring training. The 23-year-old Mayer, a former shortstop prospect, played both second and third in his rookie campaign in 2025. Durbin has experience at the keystone, but he primarily played the hot corner in Milwaukee last year. Mayer, the former fourth overall pick in 2021, might have more long-term upside offensively, but Durbin is probably the better immediate contributor in fantasy after clubbing 11 homers and stealing 18 bases in 136 regular-season games in 2025.
Source: The Athletic - Jen McCaffrey
Source: The Athletic - Jen McCaffrey
Jackson Holliday Getting his Cast Removed, Could Take Live ABs in Three Weeks
Baltimore Orioles second baseman Jackson Holliday (hand) is in camp on Monday and said he's getting his cast removed, according to Jake Rill of MLB.com. Holliday is hopeful that he can take live at-bats in three weeks, but he also knows the Orioles don't want to rush him. The 22-year-old thinks his recovery from a broken hamate bone won't linger too long and that he'll be back shortly after Opening Day in late March. He had surgery last week to remove a fractured hamate bone in his right hand, but Holliday's fantasy value shouldn't change all that much as long as he stays on track and doesn't miss much time to begin the 2026 regular season. Holliday struggled in his first 60 MLB games in 2024, but he made strides last season, clubbing 17 homers and stealing 17 bases, while also trimming his strikeout rate a good amount. His hand injury knocks him a bit going into 2026, but he's still considered a top-15 fantasy second baseman at RotoBaller.
Source: MLB.com - Jake Rill
Source: MLB.com - Jake Rill
CJ Kayfus to Have Prominent Role in Cleveland Lineup?
Cleveland Guardians first base/outfield prospect CJ Kayfus should compete to earn a near-everyday role in the Cleveland starting lineup during spring training. The Guardians promoted Kayfus to the major leagues last season, but he did not find immediate success. Across his first 44 games in the big leagues, Kayfus held a .220/.292/.415 slash line with 10 doubles, four home runs, four stolen bases, and a 38:11 K:BB. Under the hood, the 24-year-old generated a modest .322 xwOBA with a 9.2% barrel rate. Earlier in the campaign, the former 93rd overall selection from the 2023 MLB Draft held a stellar .300/.390/.539 line with 14 long balls and four stolen bases across 86 games spread between Double-A and Triple-A. Kayfus should compete for at-bats at first base alongside Kyle Manzardo and see additional time in right field, sharing time with George Valera.
Source: RotoBaller
Source: RotoBaller
JR Ritchie Drawing "Excitement" in Camp, Making Case to Earn Starting Role
Atlanta Braves starting pitching prospect JR Ritchie is drawing "excitement" in the early stages of camp and continues to make a strong case to begin the season in the MLB rotation. Ritchie is currently ranked as the team's No. 2 prospect on MLB.com and the sport's overall No. 86 prospect. Last summer, the 22-year-old opened the season at High-A but was able to progress through the upper levels at a fast rate, and concluded the campaign with Triple-A. At High-A, he posted a dominant 1.30 ERA with a 0.79 WIHP across a 41 2/3-inning stint. Through 98 1/3 innings shared between Double-A and Triple-A, Ritchie held an impressive 3.20 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, and a 102:44 K:BB. However, his path to the majors has become quite clear, following the injury to Spencer Schwellenbach (elbow) and, more recently, Hurston Waldrep being shut down with elbow discomfort. He is a top name to monitor throughout spring training.
Source: Gabe Burns
Source: Gabe Burns
Payton Tolle Looks to Strengthen Secondary Pitches
Boston Red Sox left-handed pitching prospect Payton Tolle plans to mix in his secondary pitches more often to further improve his fastball. According to reports by Christopher Smith of MassLive.com, Tolle's fastball appears two miles per hour faster to hitters than it actually appears. The four-seamer sat at 96.7 mph but generated a much higher perceived velocity of 98.7 mph. Boston's chief baseball officer, Craig Breslow, expressed that Tolle will continue to mix in his secondary pitches in 2026, which will only improve his fastball in his first full season in the big leagues. During his brief 16 1/3-inning stint in Boston last summer, Tolle relied on his fastball 64.1% of the time, mixed his cutter 13.5% of the time, and his slider 9.5% of the time. During this stint, his four-seamer generated a modest .341 xwOBA, while his slider was highly effective, posting a 33.3% whiff rate and a .258 xwOBA. If Tolle can continue to build his secondaries, his four-seamer will take a step forward in 2026. Managers should monitor his progress as he will likely compete for the final spot in the rotation alongside Connelly Early, Patrick Sandoval, and Johan Oviedo.
Source: Christopher Smith
Source: Christopher Smith
RADIO



