In our Daily Fantasy Baseball Update, RotoBaller bring you the latest news and analysis on a daily basis
Red Sox RP Joel Hanrahan was activated today from the DL. Despite what most “experts” thought, Red Sox Manager John Farrell is likely to keep Andrew Bailey at Closer as he said on MLB Network Radio Tuesday. Hanrahan was less than stellar before his injury and Bailey has been nails. Bailey hasn't had a save opportunity since April 24th but did pitch a clean 9th on Sunday vs. Houston. Some worry about Bailey’s ability to stay healthy however, at 28 years old he should be fully back now from his previous bouts with boo-boos. Bailey can be an elite closer with the AL-East leading Red Sox.
Bailey boasts a 1.46 ERA, 20 K over 12.1 IP and only 4 walks. His velocity is up and his 14.59 K/9 is a career-high right now. Ride the lightning.
Miami Marlins placed stud OF Giancarlo “Don’t call me Mike” Stanton on the DL with what is being called a Grade 2 strain of the hamstring which could require three or more weeks to recover. Miami called up their No. 6 Prospect OF Marcell Ozuna. The rookie was thrust directly into the downtrodden Marlins lineup batting 6th and went 1 for 3 with his first Major League hit in the teams 3rd straight win. Flier-meter: NL Only: Yes; Shallow Mixed: No; Deeper Mixed: Yeah why not?
Stephen Strasburg’s owners and the Nationals can let out a collective sigh of relief. Stras’ elbow showed no signs of damage and he is still on schedule to start on time. Whew! As for his numbers, they are eerily similar to last years at this point. Don't panic quite yet, but monitor this situation closely in the coming days.
NL Hot Shots:
- Tim Hudson beat the Nats and homered in his 200th career victory
- Yuniesky Betancourt went yard again, he now has 6 HR & 21 RBI on the year (tied with Braun)
- Andrew McCutchen finally broke out with a 4 for 5 performance with a HR & 2 RBI
- Edward Mujica nailed down his 5th Save
- Yonder Alonso homered and swiped a base going 3 for 5
- Ricky Weeks got hot with a 3 for 4 effort, a homer, 3 runs and 5 RBI
- Edinson Volquez has 2 wins in a row after beating the Cubs tonight
- Roy Halladay was battered for 8 ER and lasted 3.2 Innings in an Interleague bout with the Tribe
- Hyun-Jin Ryu punched out 12 over 6 frames while allowing only 3 hits, 2 walks and 2 ER to the Rockies. In this game
- Hanley Ramirez started at SS and hit his fist long ball of the 2013 campaign
- Carlos Gomez is batting .500 (23-for-46, 4 HR, 6 RBI) over his last 14 games. He is also riding a 6G hitting streak (11-22, .500, 2hr, 3rbi)
AL Hot Shots:
- Edwin Encarnacion hit a pair of BIG flies
- Brandon Morrow rebounded with 3 ER and 7K in a ND vs BOS
- Mike Trout knocked in 4 Runs with a double and a triple in a losing effort
- Verlander was, well…Verlander with a W and 8K with a single ER. Also in this game Price Fielder hit his 7th HR on the year, Miguel Cabrera laced his 4th dinger
- Huroki Kuroda stifled the Astros with 8K for his 4th W
- James Shields beat his former team with a solid 7 INN and 7K, 2 ER
- Joel Hanrahan permitted an ER and 2 hits in an inning of work
- The whole Cleveland Indians squad went bonkers on Roy Halladay(3.2 IP, 9H, 8ER) and the Phillies bullpen … M. Brantley, Santana, Reynolds, Chisenhall, Stubbs and Rayburn 2(2 HR in each of last 2 Games) all went yard.
- LAA OF/DH Mark Trumbo has 3 HR and 6 RBI over his last 5 Games.
- Yoenis Cespedes went 2 for 4 with a bases loaded sac-fly, 2B, 3B and 4 RBI in another A’s win (now 94-49 with Yo in the lineup) He’s batting .294 with 7 RBI in his 3 Games back from the DL –
- David Ortiz now has a 21 game hit streak and 15 RBI and 9 XBH since returning from the DL --
- Kevin Youkilis is the latest Yankee to hit the DL(back) –
- Luke Scott was reinstated from the DL and went 0 for 4 for the Rays
If you want this article and other high-end fantasy baseball analysis delivered to you on a daily basis, sign up for our daily newsletter. And be sure to check out the Rotoballer.com Ultimate Waiver Wire Watch List for in-depth analysis on gems that you may be able to find sitting on your waiver wire. It’s one of the best fantasy baseball features currently on web!
Follow Shawn Caswell on Twitter: @CasKnowsRoto