Daily Fantasy Notes:
- CHC vs. NYY has been POSTPONED already due to rain. Make sure you do not draft any Cubs or Yankees tonight.
- ATL vs. PHI: There is a very high chance of rain throughout the evening in the Braves vs. Phillies game. I’d avoid all players on those rosters until a rainout becomes less of a threat.
- TB vs. BAL: There is a moderate chance of rain in the Rays vs. Orioles game tonight. This is a very hitter friendly venue with very hittable starting pitchers. I’d like to add some Orioles and Rays to my team, but make sure you monitor the weather before finalizing your roster.
- Bronson Arroyo struggles mightily against LHHs. Take a look at the Mets lineup to see if you can find any last minute bargains. If Lucas Duda or Ike Davis play first base, either could be your winning lottery ticket.
- Blake Beaven (SEA) is not very good. I know this isn’t breaking news, but look to add some Rangers to your lineup.
SP: Brandon Morrow vs. MIN ($5600)
I’m still not convinced that Morrow is fixed. However, there are some positive signs about his first two starts. First, his average fastball velocity was higher in his last start than it had been in any start since 2011. Second, he’s been able to keep his walks under control (2 BB in 11 IP). Moreover, the Twins lineup is pretty nonthreatening. I think the Blue Jays score some runs off opposing starter Phil Hughes, giving Morrow a good chance to earn a win while amassing a bunch of strikeouts and innings. Alternatively, Yordano Ventura vs. HOU ($5300) is a nice play. I think many people will be all over this matchup though. Everything else being equal, I’d rather take the less drafted player in DFS contests.
2B: Daniel Murphy @ ARI (vs. Arroyo, RHP) ($2700)
Murphy has had a fairly quiet start, but he’s a top 12 second baseman to me. He’s a pretty good left-handed bat at a fairly scarce position. I like his odds of putting up some points against the D’Backs in hitter-friendly Chase Field today.
2B: Neil Walker @ CIN (vs. Mike Leake, RHP) ($2700)
If you’re not a Murphy supporter, I’d take a look at Neil Walker @ CIN. He’s a significantly better hitter from the left-side (i.e. when facing a RHP). Leake is nothing special. Plus, Great American Ball Park is very hitter friendly and the wind is currently blowing out towards right field at 15 MPH. These factors are also big positives for the Pirates other left-handed bats, most notably, Pedro Alvarez ($3800).
OF: Daniel Nava @ CWS (vs. Erik Johnson, RHP) ($2700)
Nava is one of my favorite platoon plays in the MLB. He’s very good against RHP and usually hits at the top of the order when he starts against a righty. He hasn’t had fantastic results this year, but there isn’t much reason to worry. His meager .156 BABIP will certainly increase in the very near future. He’s also in a stacked lineup against a bad starting pitcher who’s backed by a very weak bullpen. Plus, U.S. Cellular Field is a homerun haven. I must add the disclaimer that it will be pretty chilly tonight, which will have a slightly negative impact on the expected run production tonight.
OF: Matt Joyce @ BAL (vs. Miguel Gonzalez, RHP) ($2700)
Now you know my strategy. ONLY DRAFT HITTERS THAT COST $2700! It’s not the most scientific method, but it’s kind of fun, right? Joyce is another one of my favorite platoon players. He’s facing the very mediocre Miguel Gonzalez in a park with a very, very friendly left-field porch. A lot of factors are aligning in Joyce’s favor for tonight. However, make sure the rain will steer clear of Orioles Park before putting him in your lineup.